Saturday, September 03, 2011

the fleeting transformation stays with me





We are in Quebec for the long weekend, and yesterday we had lunch in Old Montreal. On the way there we passed Galerie Elca London, a gallery exhibiting Inuit art.

I was immediately drawn to the work, and went inside, tugging Charles and the kids along. The work was truly magnificent, the images--particularly those with a mythic animal-human quality--have stayed with me. I see them when I close my eyes at night.

I am posting my favorite of them here.

1. Kakulu Sagiatuk, Fleeting Transformation.
2. Kenojuak Ashevak, Days on the Coast.
3. Ningeokuluk Teevee, Lumaaq, Legend of the Blind Boy.
4. Ningeokuluk Teevee, Hypnotic Owls
 5. Pauta Saila, Woman With Ulu.

More images can be found here.

1 comment:

Nicholas said...

These will stay with me too. Thanks.

-Nick G