Wednesday, January 27, 2016

winter, photos

looking off the front porch, © 2015 Amber Schley Iragui


Winter in Portland is mild. Snow is unusual, and lasts a few hours or maybe a day. It usually changes to rain, freezes again, coats trees and walkways in ice—and the city literally shuts down. Mostly though, winter here is wet. It is damp and cold and dark and rainy. But it is not bitter. It is the end of January and already daffodils are sending up green shoots, the crocuses are blooming. I have the window in my office open a crack and I hear the crows making plans outside.

At this cheerless time of year, an hour of sunlight is like gold. Yesterday afternoon it was sunny for a bit, and joggers appeared in running shorts. A boy walked down the road in bare feet. A quarter of an hour later it was dark again and raining.

after morning drop-off, © 2015 Amber Schley Iragui

walking to the grocery, © 2016 Amber Schley Iragui



puddles, © 2016 Amber Schley Iragui

ice storm, © 2015 Amber Schley Iragui

{More winter photos over at Day's Dearest Wish and Eine Hand voller Stunden}

3 comments:

Manuela said...

As always, your photos are stunning. My favorite is the diptych!!
I am so glad you guys are doing this again. I haven't been following any blogs these past few months, but I am eagerly waiting now for your and Julia's new posts.
Maybe I will join in once in while....

A M B E R said...

Thank you, Manuela! My favorite is the diptych too--particularly because it's just one shot, I didn't splice two photos together.

I'm loving your milk project and am so thrilled about how your photography is going!

Manuela said...

Oh wow, it is not a diptych. That make it even better. I really love it!

Thanks you, Amber!