Friday, September 21, 2007

she asks "why not?" of more than a coulibiac


Since TimesSelect articles are now free, we can get all the goodies they've been holding out on us. For example, Fr John sent me a link to Maira Kalman's illustrated column The Principals of Uncertainty today. It's aching, tender, dreamy. It inspires me to want to blog in the style of her column. I'm particularly fond of Part 5: the beautiful children and other things. I do hope I won't be sued if I put one of the images from the column up here--I love the line next to the coulibiac: "why not?" Indeed.

P.S. if the link above doesn't work, paste this in your browser: http://kalman.blogs.nytimes.com/

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I love, love, love her blog as well. What a feast for the eyes and heart. What a treat. I added a link from my blog to hers. Isn't it amazing that even lowly bloggers like me can send a thread up to the "greats" like her?

A M B E R said...

I'm so glad you love it as much as I do! It was your husband who sent me the link in the first place. I didn't realize I was linking only to the last month... I'm reading the months before it now.

It's SO beautiful!

Ser said...

Okay, am I the only one that doesn't know what the heck a coulibiac is? I keep meaning to look it up--like twice a day when I fruitlessly check your blog for new entries--but I haven't. It looks kind of like breaded meat. Like a beef wellington or something.

But thanks for sending me over to Kalman's blog. Her work is amazing.

A M B E R said...

I have no idea what it is either, except that it looks meaty and yummy and well, I like the "why not?" part.

I am an enthusiastic Maira Kalman fan, and I think my mind and my feelings are united on that (see new blog post).