Thursday, July 19, 2012

photo friday: brown

Bushes in Fort Tryon Park, NY, NY / © 2012 Amber Schley Iragui
Rainstorm from under scaffolding, Washington Heights, NYC / © 2012 Amber Schley Iragui
Oilcloth Orla Keily bag and umbrella, NYC subway / © 2012 Amber Schley Iragui

Me and brown, we go way back.

There's my hair, of course, but it's more than that. Brown is softer and more accessible than black. There is something slightly invisible about it, something quiet and ever-present. Mousey. Humble. Brown says, Relax, you're in this for the long haul. Kick off your shoes. Get dirty.

When I was a high school camp counselor for sixth grade outdoor school, I had to pick one "resource" to teach. The choice was between animals, water, plants, and soil. I planned to pick the plant resource, as I already knew a lot about them. But after we toured the different resource sites I surprised myself by choosing soil. Nobody chooses soil, that's the resource you get assigned to when all the others are full. But I wanted soil—it was so overlooked, uncared for, unglamorous. And yet so important. That's me and brown in a nutshell.

We will be gone for two weeks in Cape Cod, and our rental home does not have internet (and I am not taking a laptop with me). So Photo Friday will be on hiatus until August 10th. Uncle Mark suggested the idea of shooting contrasts for Photo Friday, and I think that's a lovely idea. So for August 10th, how about contrasts: old and new. Don't be surprised if I take the opportunity to do some diptychs.

And, finally, don't be offended if I don't comment on your Photo Friday posts. I will be on my way to the Cape!

1 comment:

Mark Janssen said...

Thanks for clarifying, Cape Cod. I've been telling the family you were going to THE CAPE, i.e., of Good Hope. I knew there was no internet at Good Hope, but am surprised there is no internet at Cod. It is a good thing to disconnect electronically from time to time. When Morgan and Kara finally got away on a honeymoon in the Northwest they left smart phones and lap tops behind. It turned out well.

I struggle to appreciate brown, but I admire your second image very much.